Sunday, April 16, 2006

Chinese Whispers


Chinese Whispers

Hidden, veiled, complex, secret.
confusing, muddled, mixed.


One thing leads to another I've found. My friend Carol intrigued by the thought: "what colour is a whisper?" posed 'Chinese whispers'.

I had half an hour above the clouds this week and pondered this proposition. One thought was that a piece would have to include chinese characters. Landed on the ground and following a meeting I walked into a fabric store for fabric to make a fern scarf for a quilting event in NZ in July - possibly organza or something ... and there it was confronting me; a bright red and gold satin with woven chinese characters - not at all what I had gone in to the store for! I did come out with a scarf fabric which is now a WIP and will appear as soon as completed. I also came out with a remnant of organza which has ended up in Chinese whispers, along with cotton, thread, silk and shiva paintsticks.

I've spent my four days of Easter holidays focussed on my fern scarf, hand quilting a baltimore that I want finished for Christmas, and reading.

Reading seems to be not getting as much devotion as it should so I decided to read "The Swallows of Kabul" by Yasmina Khadra - a non de plume of the algerian Army officer, Mohammed Moulessehoul. He took a feminine pseudonym to avoid subitting his manuscripts for approval by the army. In my opinion he should give up the army, but I know the life of an artist can be a hard one to follow. It's a long time since I've read anything so rich in imagery.

"Her silence is fraught, like a cloud full of storms. He is like a munitions expert, defusing a bomb, fully aware that his future is hanging by a thread."

"... languid elephants ..."

It is a sad, beautifully written story, about four individuals, two couples, who have lost their souls in the emotional havoc of war torn Afghanistan under Taliban control.

To loose your soul and not know the road back ... now that's a thought that most will never have to contemplate.

No comments: