Saturday, May 15, 2010

Happy to have quilted for the second time

I won enough of these fabrics to make a single bed quilt, as the prize for a viewers choice award for a completely different bright aboriginal quilt. These fabrics were not a pallette that I would normally have chosen, but the quilt has ended up being my favourite one for the bed.

I sourced more fabrics to make a queen size quilt then batted it with wool batting, and quilted it in 2006, finishing just before going on holiday to Rarotonga for three weeks. 

Of course you always think you will remember the batting and of course I didn't and washed it in the machine in warm water.  The result was that the quilt shrunk by 31cm and looked like a seersucker fabric!  Lesson to myself - write the type of batting on the label - particularly on bed quilts that you know will eventually be washed one day.

Decision made, I resolved to unpick it and quilt it again.  Here it is being completed, this time with a polyester batting.

I must mention my trusty Pfaff 1475 sewing machine.  I've had it for 20 years and I know its coming up time to replace it.  It has been a wonderful machine, but its hard work quilting large works on it.  I still wouldn't want to be without it though.

No comments: