Friday, September 14, 2012

Mono Printing

I played for four hours in a class on Mono Printing last Saturday

Playing with only one colour of textile ink, blue on white batik fabric, let my intuitive "fearless" artist out to create pattern after pattern.  The total freedom to be prolific and allow the brain to let go of controlling the like or dislike function for a while, resulted in a total of 40 eight inch blocks!  Enough to make a throw, although I have over the week debated making more to do a bed quilt ... and it's still possible I will.




I'm becoming aware of the ideas and experiences that tumble out of me and never get finished or pursued to the end ... is too much creativity possible?  Is it distraction from exploring the depths of myself?  Questions for a journal page I think.

I've had such a week of inspiration and joy and happiness - and it has made me realise that creativity, ideas bring me joy and inspire me onwards.  My life is droll and dull when I'm not engaged this way.  How addictive ... making the world a braver place through art and creativity!  Woosh!

Following several quilt and textile art exhibitions and an antique / vintage textile fair last Sunday, Sarah and I pursued ideas around exhibiting our artwork.  The spaces required, the connections between works, the form and shape of how it might look, working style - deadlines or not; what is already in existence for exhibition and what needs to be created.  More inspiration.  More thoughts.  More observations.  "A Body of Work"

We were thrilled by an exhibition of work by Lynn Nunn at ArtsPost in Hamilton, called Connective Threads.  So many thoughts, inspirations and observations from this alone.  The exhibition had six distinctive parts connecting to create a whole from experimentations.  In Lynn's words, the exhibition is "an influence of family connections, history of fashion and cultures".  It was incredibly moving and drew us both further and further in to each individual work, each fibre, fibres left hanging with their own gentle comment to contribute to the work.

This exhibition was a true Body of Work and by far and away one of the very best exhibitions that ArtsPost has hosted (that I have seen there, at least).  Quietly understated, and incredibly moving.






The Lino homework hasn't gotten much attention so far this week - later today I hope.  I did purchase the textile ink and roller - so am good to go.

The other piece of inspiration that finally arrived in the form of a book reminded me of the following:

"We must be willing to let go of the life we planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us."  - Joseph Campbell

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.  Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.  It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.  We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?  Actually, Who are You, not to be?  Your playing small, does not serve the world.

There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.  We are all meant to shine, as children do.  We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.  I'ts not just in some of us; it's in everyone.  And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.  As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."  - Marianne Williamson

I wish you a peace-filled, joyful week, full of inspiration, creativity and love.

No comments: